Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Vegetable Tortellini Soup

Besides making up pasta dishes, I also like to just make up soup recipes as I go along. I made this quickly last night, but obviously, if you can give it time to simmer for an hour or two, it will be even better.

INGREDIENTS

2 1/4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning*
1 cup baby carrots, cut in half
1/2 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 1/2 cups cooked tortellini

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a medium sauce pan add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and poultry seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
  2. To soften vegetables if you need dinner quickly, place them in a microwave safe bowl, add 1 tablespoon of water, and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 4 minutes or until tender.
  3. Add vegetables and prepared tortellini to soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
*Note: I like to use poultry seasoning because it has many different dried herbs in one bottle. In my small kitchen, anything I can do to save space helps. Of course, you can use any herbs you like.

No comments: