Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Guacamole

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but anytime I use a photo that's not my own, you can click on it and it will take you directly to the photographer's site. In this case, that's the recipe on www.allrecipes.com because this photo was taken by them for this particular recipe. Moving on, I made this for the 4th of July just like everything else I've posted this week. Even my husband who hates guacamole loved this. It's a really easy recipe, and was no problem for me even though I've never made guac before. Actually, I'd never made anything I made for the 4th before. I'm a daredevil like that.

TIPS

  • If you're an avocado virgin like me, I think it's best to buy under-ripe avocados and ripen them in a paper bag yourself than trying to figure out just what a ripe avocado feels like.

    The unripened avocados are a bright green. Just buy them a day or two before you need them and put them in a brown paper bag. When they are dark all over and give into the pressure of your finger when you squeeze it, they're ripe.


  • INGREDIENTS

    3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
    1 lime, juiced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup diced onion
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

    DIRECTIONS
    1. 1. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.

    No comments: